Today, I made homemade spaghetti sauce for the first time! Last week, I made a pork tenderloin in red wine and I needed it use it up. That coupled with 24 cent cans of tomatoes this week = cheap spaghetti sauce! And it is pretty tasty if I do say so myself! Here is the recipe: I doubled the recipe and made some modifications.. I used stewed tomatoes b.c I really have no idea what to use those for. They were Italian style. Monkey and I blended them in the blender after 2 hrs of cooking so they were more 'saucy'. I also didnt have tomato paste on hand so I used 1 can of Tomato sauce and 1 Tomato Puree. I also didnt add the spices b/c they were already in the tomato cans. I did add the Bay leaves. Super easy and monkey and I just tasted it and it is pretty tasty!
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup red wine
Directions
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute onions and garlic until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 3 hours.
sounds awesome! just had the cranberry chicken again this week...it is so good! your new page looks great :)
ReplyDelete